Things are finally starting to take shape. Although there is a lot more to do, (and to fix) I decided to post some footage from Living Flesh. It feels good to get it out there. As the writer, director, producer, artist…. I constantly battle with myself over quality, productivity and design. When you work on a large CG project like this, you are constantly improving your skills. The urge to go back and redo is like involuntary reflex. At some point, not sure when it happened, I stopped redoing. I think maybe it was when I added the coffee stain to the roll-away table (see if you can find it). The shot was finished, but I felt like the left side of the frame was empty. I spent the next hour integrating the coffee stain. When I was done I felt a strong sense of accomplishment, but the producer in me told me I had a sickness. The devil is in the details!
Now that the first segment is somewhat finished, I can take a moment to evaluate where to go from here. I have found a ton of short cuts and found some disturbing gaps in my skill set, but all in all I am a lot closer to completing a 30 minute episode every month.
So here is what I am using to render:
Intel Dual 6 core 2.64 ghz Xeon Processors, hyperthreaded for 24 effective threads 64 GB Ram
On average each frame took 8 minutes to render. I rendered (roughly) 2,880 frames. That took 23,040 minutes or 384 hours or 16 days of solid rendering. That’s not too bad but of course it took more than one render in order to get it right. Plus, there were additional layers to composite together. You get the picture.
Stay tuned, there is a lot more to come.